A beautiful smile is indeed a boon! It enhances your appearance and boosts your confidence. But not all are blessed with a celebrity smile. Thankfully, this can be achieved with the help of cosmetic dentistry, that aims to uplift your overall appearance. Dental veneers are one such revolutionary procedure.
Our renowned dentist in Berkley, CA, offers customized porcelain veneers that easily blend with your natural teeth.
An insight into porcelain veneers
Porcelain veneers are customized, thin, tooth-colored shells or coverings that are bonded to your teeth (especially the anteriors) with dental cement. These help alter the shape, size, and color of your teeth. Veneers benefit by concealing dental imperfections like cracks, chips, and stains. These are some of the most widely performed cosmetic dentistry procedures with several benefits.
Indications of porcelain veneers
If you want to rejuvenate the appearance of your smile, then porcelain veneer is the right choice. These restorations help camouflage the following imperfections:
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Smaller-than-average teeth
- Diastema (gaps or unwanted space between the teeth)
- Slightly crooked teeth
- Stains that do not improve with teeth whitening
- Misshapen teeth
Potential benefits of porcelain veneers
Porcelain veneers are gaining popularity owing to the following benefits:
- Versatile application in dentistry
- Dramatically enhance the appearance of your smile
- Do not require extensive tooth preparation
- Blend easily with your natural teeth
- Are stain-resistant and fracture-resistant
- Do not require additional maintenance
- They are durable, with a lifespan ranging between 10 to 15 years
The process of getting porcelain veneers
The following steps are involved in the fabrication of porcelain veneers:
- Your dentist will evaluate the health of your teeth through dental examination and X-rays
- A round of prophylactic dental cleaning will be performed
- The tooth that requires veneers will be prepared by removing a sufficient amount of enamel such that the veneers can easily blend with the natural tooth
- Full-mouth impressions will be recorded and sent to the laboratory to fabricate the veneers according to your tooth measurements
- You will be given a temporary veneer before you leave. This provides protection until you get your permanent veneers.
- When you return to your dentist after about 2 weeks, your temporary veneer will be removed
- The enamel surface will be cleaned to remove any residual plaque or bacteria
- The tooth will be etched using a dental bonding agent, facilitating a good bond between the veneer and the tooth surface
- Your permanent porcelain veneers will be placed using the appropriate dental cement
Veneers are porcelain shells that are gaining momentum in cosmetic dentistry since they are a long-term solution to several dental flaws.